How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

  • When a child has an identified or suspected Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND) before they start at Fairfield or Colneis we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify how we can meet their current and any emerging needs in our school setting.
  • When a child already in the school moves year group there are systems in place to ensure that information about their individual needs is passed on to the new teacher and support staff. This is overseen by the Headteacher/SENCO and his team.
  • If you tell us you think your child has a SEND we will discuss this with you and check it out. We will share with you what we find and agree with you what we will do next and what you can do to help your child.
  • Our half termly pupil progress meetings will indicate whether a child is not making the expected progress and is below age expected levels. This may indicate a Special Educational Need. Staff will also raise concerns if they feel that other factors such as a child’s behaviour, self-esteem, ability to follow instructions or ability to form relationships are affecting performance or well-being.
  • Liaison with external agencies for example health professionals.

Posted in: SEND FAQs